Friday, January 04, 2008

Last minute indeed!

For weeks before Christmas I had been saying to myself, "I'd really like to knit Clarinda a scarf." That sort of morphed into, "I'm knitting Clarinda a scarf" without any actual scarf knitting taking place. Then the ice storm wiped out a week of shopping and crafting time and pretty soon I found myself packing for our trip without even the slightest semblance of a scarf at hand.

At the mall the night before we left (to buy another present that I had crossed off my list without actually buying it) I saw lots of mannequins draped in crocheted scarves. After the third or fourth the light bulb went on.


Clarinda is wearing the scarf that I cast on (chained on?) as we left the house at 4 p.m. December 20th and finished (except for weaving in ends) during a heavy snowfall in Colorado Springs at about 5 p.m. December 21st. In the intervening 25 hours I had also stopped at McDonald's 3 times (oh, the horror), slept, showered, herded kids around, and read out loud the entirety of Junie B. Jones, First Grader : Shipwrecked (very funny). I didn't look at much scenery -- the downside of crochet, for me, is that I have to look at even simple patterns -- but I took time out to goggle at the pronghorn antelope we passed in New Mexico. I can see why people say crochet is faster than knitting.

The yarns are both clearance yarns from Hobby Lobby, bought with my daughter in mind. The white is Moda Dea Dream (nylon & acrylic). It's very soft and fuzzy without being overwhelming. I don't know how it will hold up but I'd use it again. The pink is Moda Dea Zing (all polyester) and I hated it. It's almost scratchy. It looks okay, but it just doesn't feel good. But it's what I had, so I used it. The scarf is five rows of filet squares, and then an all around scalloped border (sc, dc, tc, dc, sc in each square, ch 3 going around the corner).

It was fun to do something so quickly for a change. I may have to pay more attention to those "last minute gift" books. But first I think I hear something from Knitting New Scarves calling my name.

No comments: