Friday, January 12, 2007

Second time around


Here is Charlotte, wearing a vest that I made for George while I was pregnant with her. She wore it last winter, and I thought it would be too small this year. But short-over-long seems to be acceptable fashion around here.

I love watching the things I've made go from one child to another. Another sweater Charlotte has been favoring this winter is one I made for my cousin's daughter about 16 years ago. It's kind of embarrassing to see -- in particular, my finishing is Just Awful, which might explain my preference for no-sew methods of sweater construction back then -- but at the same time, it's easy to remember what I was thinking as I made it. (Love for my cousin and a deep sense of pride at a pocket modification predominated. It was the Chanel jacket from Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits. Imagine how I felt when New Baby Knits came out with a Chanel jacket pattern that included the modification I had thought of on my very own.) I've seen the jacket worn by Caroline (the original recipient), Claire, Amy, and now Charlotte. That's really satisfying. But I think I'll spare you a picture.

No comments: