Tuesday, March 21, 2006

more about the Zilboorg hat


Here's the front view as worn by my little pirate -- he's saying "Aarrr" here. On an adult the brim doesn't roll up.


The pattern calls for boning to hold out the ridge between the sides and the top, but I don't think it's necessary.

Project specs:
Egyptian hat from Anna Zilboorg's 45 Fine & Fanciful Hats to Knit.
126 gms (about 4 1/2 oz) assorted handspun wool & mohair yarns, mostly worsted or heavy worsted weight.
Size 6 needles.
While I corrected the chart for the top of the hat, I knitted the sides as shown in the book, and so I increased quite a bit immediately after the garter stitch band. This is incorrect (as shown in the corrected charts) and makes the hat a little looser than it might be right at the bottom. Also I knitted the sides two rows longer than shown in the charts; I regret that now.

The finished hat is very warm and comfortable. I like the contrast between the muted stripes on the sides and the punchy yellow on the top. I think it's a keeper.

1 comment:

Lene said...

It for sure is a keeper! Beautiful!