Sunday, March 05, 2006

What was I thinking?


I've been trying to resurrect a project that I set aside (abandoned) last winter. I've figured out the stitch pattern, but I just cannot remember what sort of garment I was trying to make.

It's one long piece, with a knitted-on edging. I think I was making a vest, or maybe a cardigan, and I'm about to where I would split for the armholes. But this puppy is HUGE. It's a bulky yarn, but I still cannot imagine needing 8+ inches of ease.

So I think I'm going to have to rip the whole thing out. Is it worth starting again? I'm not sure. I don't usually like bulky knits, and I'm not sure why I bought this yarn except that it was a really good deal. But I love the fabric:


It's a simple pattern -- seed stitch interrupted by rows of stockinette -- but it really makes the most of this yarn (Bernat's Scandia, from the last big yarn craze, or maybe the one before that). I've had it sitting around for about 10 years, and I think maybe I should knit it up before we all come to our senses and go back to smaller yarns. But why knit something if I'm not going to wear it.

Clearly I have some thinking to do.

No comments: