Monday, April 09, 2007

Brainwave!

I've just figured out how to finish off Charlotte's Blue's Clues top -- while I was taking a shower, of course. If I took showers all day long, how many wonderful ideas would I have?

I've been thinking for weeks that I would edge the armhole with I-cord and the neck with another I-cord and then connect them with a few more in the middle to make tank top straps. But I haven't been able to figure out what to do at the top to make it adjustable. I want her to get tired of the top rather than outgrow it, and the only real issue is the length of the straps. Because the top is reversible, I want the straps to look good from both sides. Buttons and ties seem too clunky.

Here's what I'm going to do: I'll attach the I-cords to each other most of the way, but separate them occasionally. At the top the middle ones will stop, but the outside ones will continue as laces. I'll lace them through the holes of the opposite side, then tie them in a bow half way down. So she'll have little bows below her shoulders, front and back, and the ties can be pulled out and re-laced higher as she grows.

Doesn't it sound wonderful? Off to experiment to see if it will really work. I've got 40 minutes before I have to go pick the kids up ....

1 comment:

exCalifornian said...

very clever! I have most of my best ideas in the shower too.